Dhanak (film) (5 Stars), Manganiyaars, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

First and foremost let me start with a short review of the Nagesh Kuknoor super-awesome children music travel saga Dhanak! Dhanak is story of two very sweet and direct  kids Chhotu and Pari, who embark on a tour in search of Great King Shahrukh Khan ji so that he can help return Chhotu's eyesight. Along the way they meet a cast of colorful characters. The backdrop of rural Rajasthan is as much a character. These 2 children give a heart-melting performance to make this the breakout film of the season. 5 stars from me.

The Mast Qalandar song lights a flame to my cords. Reminding me of the Manganiyaar's Seduction -- the group of musicians who set the Barbican on fire a few years back. These musicians bring a new meaning to orchestra, with their conductor extracting an amazing vocal and instrumental treat out. A performance that should be on every folk music lover's bucket list.

Mast Qalandar then brings me to Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan -- I remember going through some interesting backstreet deals to score tickets to his concert many many years back. His performance opens my eyes to sufi music. Qawalis are never cooler. He did so much to bring the 2 Stans (Hindustan and Pakistan) nearer.

Let me round it off with a shoutout to Satrangi for their Rajasthan episode.

Comments

Popular Posts